Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Welcome Baby Parker

Parker Wilson Shepherd
03/03/11
8:33 am
7 lbs 9 oz
19 3/4 inches long


2:45 am ~ Woke up to get ready for the hospital... We were both nervous and excited!

4:00 am ~ Arrived at Labor & Delivery. Dilated 4 cm

4:40 am ~ Received Pitocin

Just waiting...

Excited Daddy
5:30 am ~ Dr. Smith came in and broke my water.  Lots of fluid! Lots! She told her she couldn't feel a lick of hair on Parker's head. Wil and I just couldn't believe that we'd have a bald baby.  Dr. Smith recommended I go ahead and get in line for my epidural, because there was a scheduled c-section that morning and 4 other women being induced. I'd have to either get it before 7:30 or after 9:30. I wasn't in pain really... just a little crampy and uncomfortable... but I definitely couldn't imagine childbirth without an epidural.  Doctor's orders - sign me up!

6:15 am ~ Wil got kicked out for about 45 minutes so they could start my epidural. I was so thankful to have Nurse Nichole--from my home town--there, because Wil wasn't allowed to stay. I think the whole epidural process was way worse on Wil than it was on me... a solid 45 minutes of worrying how I was doing.  I, on the other hand, was just fine. I got a little annoyed when they couldn't get the epidural just right and had to start over, but it really didn't hurt that bad.

6:45 am ~ Nichole checked me one last time before her shift ended. Dilated 5 cm.  Dr. Smith requested hourly updates on my progress. She was guessing we'd have a baby by noon.

7:00 am ~ Shift change... Nurse Darla was now our gal.

7:45 am ~ Darla came in to check me so she could give Dr. Smith her hourly update. She said, "I'm guessing you'll be about a 6." Upon checking me, she got a very perplexed looked on her face. "You're at a 9... we're not ready for this!"  She ran out to call Dr. Smith. Before we knew it, a whirlwind of people were in our room bringing in carts and supplies, dropping down overhead lights, taking the foot part off my bed, etc. 

8:10 am ~ Darla came back in and said Dr. Smith was finishing up a surgery and would be down in about 10 minutes. She had me get into position to start some "practice pushing." Ha. Practice? Before I knew it, Wil was saying, "He does have hair! I can see it!"   One small problem... Parker was sunny-side up. Darla was only able to get him turned about half-way but said Dr. Smith could probably get him turned the rest of the way. 

8:20ish am ~ Dr. Smith arrived. She (manually) turned Parker into a better position... and the real pushing began. The room was full of people (doctor, nurses, and even a few students), but I didn't seem to notice/care at the time. Looking back... ummmm yeah... lady bits on display... awkward. A few of the students seemed a bit freaked out.  Dr. Smith still swore Parker was bald, but Wil and Darla disagreed with her.

8:33 am ~ Parker Wilson Shepherd was born--with hair! Seconds after delivery while getting his nose and mouth suctioned, he sneezed and blew birthing junk all over Dr. Smith's face! Yuck!   Thankfully Darla reminded Wil to get out his camera and start taking pictures.





Overall, the birthing process was totally different than I expected.  All the nurses kept telling me "this isn't normal."  Everything went so smoothly.  Three hours after having my water broken, we had a baby!  Even before my epidural, my pain was under control.  I didn't panic, hyperventilate, or cry.  Actually, during one of my final pushes, I had to stop because I was laughing at Darla and Dr. Smith arguing about heartburn and babies born with hair.  Dr. Smith really put her through the ringer and even said she needed to go back to nursing school!  Regardless, we loved Darla.  

Shortly after Parker had been checked by the nurses, the room was cleared and we shared family time together for the first time. 




Afterwards, Wil said he thought he was more freaked out than I was. Everything happened so quickly, and I didn't have time to freak out. Speaking of Wil, he was AMAZING. He knew how important it was for me to feel supported by him. He encouraged me and whispered in my ear. It's like he knew exactly what to say to get me through each moment and ready for the next. I know I couldn't have done it without him by my side. I couldn't imagine a better person to share this experience with. I really am blessed to have him in my life. He'll be the BEST daddy Parker could ever dream of.  Thanks so much Wil for always being by my side, knowing just what to say, and loving me in all the right ways.  I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Aww...reading your post brought tears to my eyes! I'm so happy for you guys and sad that we missed your awesome experience! At this rate, you guys could have a dozen...just kidding! I can't wait to meet little Parker!!!

    ReplyDelete