Monday, October 11, 2010

Who needs a plan?

If you know me well at all, you know I'm a major planner. I love my color-coated planner, time lines, and to-do lists. My planning sometimes drives Wil crazy. He hates having his life scheduled and often goes by his own adjusted timeline. His 5 minutes often equals 30 minutes if he's at the bait shop. I've learned to adjust to his lack of scheduling, and he's learned to adapt to my obsessive scheduling/planning. 

This past weekend was going to be be perfect. Here was the plan:
  1. My sister (Katie) was coming Friday night when I got off work. We were going to go shopping, maybe get pedicures, and go to dinner with Wil. Then, she was going to spend the night.
  2. We were all going to go to Macie's (my niece's) 2-year birthday party in Evansville on Saturday morning. Then, I was going maternity clothes shopping.
  3. I was planning on going home to Sturgis Sunday night for Sam's Pizza and to spend the night with my mom and dad.
  4. Last, I was going to play with the kids my mom babysits on Monday morning.
Nothing went as planned. Long story short, my brother's family was sick early in the week and then my parents and sister got the bug the end of the week. I was really worrying about what I should do. Was it safe to go to the birthday party? Could I just go early and leave before most of the people got there? If Evansville and Union Co had this bug, should we skip shopping?

Since my sister couldn't come Friday night, Wil and I decided to go to the movies with our friends, Nikki and Rodney. Earlier in the afternoon I had texted my friend Janna, who lives in Evansville, about maybe meeting up to go shopping on Saturday afternoon. During the movie, I learned that my family was getting sicker. I just kept getting more nervous about my whole weekend plans. I wound up in a complete (hormonal) melt-down Friday night when Wil and I got home from the movies. I liked my weekend plans, but they were falling apart. I cried forever and cried more Saturday morning. I knew my brother would be upset with me, but I just couldn't risk being exposed to a stomach bug.  I had to cancel, which also meant cancelling with my friend Janna. I found out that her family woke up sick Saturday morning too... this only confirmed that cancelling was the right thing to do... even though it made me feel like a lousy aunt.

What actually happened over the weekend:
  1. Wil and I went to the movies Friday night with Nikki and Rodney.
  2. Saturday: I bought a book and went to the farm with Wil. I mostly just sat and enjoyed the sunshine (even though I pouted all day about my ruined weekend plans).
  3. Sunday: Wil's great aunt was visiting from Oklahoma, so we went to brunch with Wil's family. Wil and I spent a relaxing day at home.
I'm still sad about missing Macie's birthday party and not getting to go maternity clothes shopping with Janna. I'm planning on going to Sturgis next weekend instead, and I should get to see Macie and Gavin then.  I'm in serious need of more shirts, so I'm sure I'll get to meet up with Janna soon! 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see you, and I'm certain you made the right decision :) Don't sweat it my friend! Keep you and your precious baby healthy...that's the most important!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete