Saturday, February 2, 2013

Allergist, Take 3


We were up most of the night Wednesday night. I tried to let Wil sleep, because he still wasn’t feeling well. He’s been battling sickness for over 2 months and has been coughing too much at night to sleep. Nothing seems to help his nighttime cough. To make matters worse, Parker’s been sick so much and up a lot at night. Even if I’m the one up with Parker, Wil still can’t sleep because Parker’s making too much racket.  Unfortunately, I needed his help when Parker threw up all over me and him. For a brief moment, we were afraid that maybe his fever was associated with a stomach bug… but Parker didn’t throw up any more. I think all the coughing made it happen. Parker finally feel asleep soundly at about 5 am. It was frustrating. I was able to stay home with him, but poor sick Wil needed to work.  I called the Allergist office when they opened, and they scheduled an appointment for Parker for that afternoon.
 

 
Parker played well throughout the day, but he refused to take a nap. I was worried he’d be a complete bear by time for his appointment. He was so perfect! Dr. Brauer said that his wheezing was all around but localized on his left side. She wanted an x-ray to rule out pneumonia.  She told us to keep doing the pulmicort twice a day at the higher dose, keep doing albuterol every 4 hours, and keep doing the Singulair at night. She gave us a prescription for steroids but asked that we not fill it just yet. She’s wanted to see if the higher pulmicort with albuterol would fight off this bronchiolitis. If he’s no better on Saturday, we’re to start the steroids.  Dr Brauer wanted to keep his appointment for next Wednesday. If he doesn’t need the steroids, we should be able to do allergy testing that day. If we start steroids, we’ll have to push back the testing – but she still wants to see him.

We left Dr Brauer’s office and headed to the Healthpark for Parker’s chest x-ray. His last chest x-ray was in October. It was difficult. Two ladies had to help me hold Parker still. I was expecting the same thing this time, especially since it was 3:00 and he still hadn’t napped. When we got inside, I realized that there was no line (score!). The office ladies adored Parker and were so kind to us. Parker set in a big boy chair beside me. I can’t believe he’s getting so big. He held my hand as we walked back to the x-ray room. He cried when I put him on the table, and I thought we were in for a long few minutes. Tears ran down his face, but then a calm came over him. They took one picture, I turned him, and they took the next. He was perfect and didn’t budge! The x-ray tech couldn’t believe he’d done so well. He proudly marched out of the room. I told him we’d go get a treat, but he fell immediately asleep in the car. No pneumonia. Just bronchiolitis again.

No comments:

Post a Comment